Start collecting these baby essentials in preparation for the arrival of your new baby.
Preparing for your baby’s birth is as intimidating as it is exciting. After 9 long months of carrying your baby around in your tummy, the time has finally come for you to meet your precious little one and you are thrilled! But are you truly ready for the days after your delivery?
Small as they are, babies require a lot of supplies! Many moms advise to start collecting things months in advance, and there is wisdom to that because you may be too heavy or too tired to run around the mall on your last trimester. But where do you start?
Here are lists of baby essentials to get you through those first few weeks worry-free:
What Baby Will Wear
Moms don’t exaggerate when they say that babies need more clothes than they do! And with good reason: newborns need their diapers to be changed every 2-3 hours a day, and sometimes, this also means soiling their clothes. Best to be prepared for accidents like that! Here is a list of clothing baby essentials you can start preparing with:
- 14 onesies (consisting of comfortable clothes to wear at home and dressier ones to wear when out)
- 7 sets of pajamas
- 4-6 pairs of baby socks and mittens
- 1-2 newborn hats
The list below looks long and may be overwhelming, but don’t worry! These items are a good start for new moms, and with newborn babies, it is always a good idea to be over-prepared than under-prepared. As the weeks pass, you’ll be able to decide for yourself which are the items you and your baby truly need.
- 4 packs of disposable diapers (1-2 newborn size and the rest small): Ask friends and family for advice on which brands they trust, or 18-24 cloth diapers—which is an environment and budget-friendly option.
- 2 packs of disposable wipes
- 4 drool bibs
- 3-5 baby washcloths
- 12-24 “lampins”: These are every new mom’s best friend and are your all-around cleaning cloth, to be used as diapers, washcloths, burp cloths, and drool bibs!
- A diaper pail/trash bin
- Diaper trash bags
- Roll-up/foldable portable changing mat
- Baby nail clippers / baby nail scissors and baby nail file
- TriSoPure Baby Wash: Make sure to choose a dermatologically tested mild and fragrance-free cleanser to keep your baby’s skin in healthy condition!
- Baby shampoo
- Baby digital or rectal thermometer
- Nasal aspirator
- Brush and comb set
- 2-3 hooded towels
- A baby bath tub
- Medical supplies: Ask for advice from your trusted pediatrician on what medicines to keep at hand.
- Alcohol: for those who will be carrying the bay
How Baby Will Sleep
Sleep is incredibly important for newborn babies. In order for them to sleep soundly, they need feel safe and warm, which will come from knowing you are nearby, and if they are properly swaddled.
Get tips from your pediatrician or from family and friends for the best swaddling techniques, and see how your baby will eventually learn how to sleep anywhere, at any time! Below is a list of baby essentials for sleep:
- A safe place for the baby to sleep (crib, bassinet, co-sleeper bassinet)
- 3-4 fitted sheets
- 6 swaddling blankets
- 2-3 light weight blankets
- 1 heavy blanket
- 2 waterproof mattress protectors
- 1 night light
How Baby Will Eat
This feeding baby essential list will depend on whether you decide to exclusively breastfeed or bottle-feed, or a combination of the two—whatever you decide, choose what works best for your family’s lifestyle and your baby’s needs.
- 5-8 bottles
- Formula for 1 week: consult with your pedia on the best brand to use
- A bottle brush
- A liquid bottle cleaner
- Bottle sterilizer
- Distilled water
- Breast pump
- Breast milk storage bags
- Nursing bras
- Lanolin cream
- Breast pads
- Breastfeeding cover
How Baby Will Travel
When traveling with the baby to near or far destinations, the two most important things to consider are safety and convenience. Explore the options based on the needs of your family, so you can enjoy being with your baby wherever you go.
- Infant car seat
- Baby sling
What Your Baby Really Needs
After all is said and done, the most important baby essential and best advice new moms can get is to remember that what your baby needs most is YOU and all your love.
Cherish every precious moment for your bundle of joy and congratulations in advance!